Car workshop
0 View
Article Rating
1 звезда2 звезды3 звезды4 звезды5 звезд

What age do you drive in Italy?

Department of Motor Vehicles

To get a New York State driver license, you must pass a written test, complete a 5-hour pre-licensing course and pass a road test.

When you pass your road test, you must give your foreign driver license to the DMV road test examiner. The local DMV office will destroy your foreign driver license.

You do not need to be a US Citizen to get a New York driver license, permit or non-driver ID card

Learn more about how to get a

If your temporary visitor status gets extended, you must bring it to a DMV office

  • a completed Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (PDF) ( MV-44)
  • your updated paperwork from the DHS (your documents must be valid, current and verifiable)
  • 6 points of identification

Non citizens and types of ID

New York offers three types of ID documents; standard licenses and IDs, REAL IDs, and Enhanced licenses and IDs. Non citizens are eligible for standard IDs. Non citizens who can provide proof of lawful presence are eligible for REAL IDs. However, only US Citizens are eligible for Enhanced IDs.

Renewing your license

As long as the Temporary Visitor status that DMV has on file is not expired you can renew your license online, through the mail or in an office.

If your Temporary Visitor status has been extended, you must go to a DMV office with your updated paperwork from the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We will update our records to show that your Temporary Visitor status has been extended so you can renew your license. Your new license will have your new temporary visitor expiration date.

What does ‘TEMPORARY VISITOR’ mean?

A Temporary Visitor is defined as anyone who is not immigrating to or not permanently residing (living) in the United States. These visitors have US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) documentation that supports their legal status in this country.

If you have DHS documents that identify you as a Temporary Visitor and have a REAL ID, your New York State driver license, permit or non-driver ID card will have

  • ‘TEMPORARY VISITOR’ on it, and
  • the expiration date from your DHS document

Please note that your DMV document does not expire on the Temporary Visitor expiration date, nor will your privilege to drive in New York.

If I have a driver license from another country and I have a NY State learner permit, can I drive without a supervising driver?

Yes. Your valid foreign driver license allows you to drive without a supervising driver. You can drive on any street, road, highway, bridge, or tunnel, except in a DMV road test area .

If your driver license is printed in any language except English, you must bring an International Driving Permit or a certified translation of your driver license to the road test. The translation must be certified by a consulate, the US Department of State, or another official agency. The translation must include

  • your name
  • your date of birth
  • the expiration date of your foreign driver license
  • a list of the types of vehicles that your foreign driver license allows you to drive

If you have a NY State learner permit, and you do not have a valid foreign driver license , NY State law requires a supervising driver to ride with you. The supervising driver must be age 21 or over and must have a valid driver license to operate the vehicle that you drive.

Temporary Visitors and international students with REAL ID permits and licenses

As long as the Temporary Visitor status that DMV has on file is not expired you can renew your license online, through the mail or in an office.

If your Temporary Visitor status has been extended, you must go to a DMV office with your updated paperwork from the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We will update our records to show that your Temporary Visitor status has been extended so you can renew your license. Your new license will have your new temporary visitor expiration date.

What is bin driving mode?

Planning to rent a car and venturing out into the world on your own? Plan to obtain an International Driving Permit before you go.

AAA is one of only two private entities in the U.S. authorized by the U.S. Department of State to issue an IDP.*

Why Carry an IDP?

Your IDP is a valid form of identification in 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information. It translates your identification information into 10 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don’t. Most countries highly recommend an International Driving Permit.

Another country cannot issue an IDP to be used in conjunction with a US driver’s license. An IDP accompaning a US driver’s license can only be issued in the USA.

Many countries require an IDP to drive legally. Fines for driving without an IDP can be quite costly. Check countries requirements before travel.

An IDP gives you peace of mind while you’re out exploring the world — even if you’re not planning to drive!

* International Driving Permits may not be issued more than six (6) months in advance of desired effective date. **Contact the AAA branch office directly to verify IDP Services is available. *** plus sales tax if applicable. Check with the nearest branch office for exact fees.

How to Apply?

To apply in person at a AAA Branch.
You will need to provide:

  • Download and fill out an application (new tab), and bring it to your nearest AAA branch office** (new tab).
  • Two original passport pictures (also available at AAA branch offices AAA branch offices**).
  • A valid U.S. driver’s license.
  • Pay $20 USD permit fee and you’re ready to go!***

Apply by Mail
If you are not able to visit your nearest AAA branch office, your IDP can be obtained through the mail. Simply enclose the following and mail them to the AAA office nearest you (check locally for payment options):

  • Your completed IDP application form
  • Two original passport pictures each signed on the back
  • $20 USD permit fee***
  • A photocopy of both sides of your driver’s license
  • If desired, include additional U.S. funds for expedited return mail service. See (new tab) or (new tab) for rates.

Already Overseas?

If you are currently overseas you can mail your completed application to the following office and address:

1000 AAA Drive
Heathrow, FL 32746
Attn: Mail Stop #28

Please allow 5-7 weeks for return mail.
Due to the recent change in U.S. Customs law impacting USPS Express International mail, FedEx* will be used to most countries. Go to for additional charges. Please provide a street address for delivery, and expect delivery up to 10 business days after IDP is processed.

International Driving Permit Frequently Asked Questions


    How will I benefit? —>
  1. Am I required to have an IDP in foreign countries?
  2. If someone visits the United States from a foreign country and discovers that they need an IDP, can they purchase one from AAA?
  3. If someone has a driver’s license from a U.S. territory such as Guam, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands, how would an IDP work for them?
  4. I am on active duty in the military…
  5. I am traveling to South America…

Am I required to have an IDP in foreign countries?

There are some countries that do not recognize a drivers license from the United States, but officially recognize an IDP (e.g. Hungary). There are other countries that honor a United States drivers license, but require a local language translation (e.g. Spain). The IDP can satisfy these types of situations. Keep in mind, however, that while a certain country’s government may not require an IDP, car rental companies located in that country, such as Hertz, may require an IDP to rent a car. Purchasing an IDP prior to departure can save a lot of potential hassles.

NOTE: If you are living permanently in a foreign country, even though you may still hold a U.S. state issued driver’s license, you must abide by local driver’s licensing laws. Many countries require that you obtain a local license once you take up employment and/or residency.

How many miles is too many for used car?

Since Hong Kong was transferred from Great Britain to China, do I still need an IDP to drive there?

The United Nations provided official notification to the U.S. State Department indicating that the treaty which applies to Hong Kong at present will continue to apply to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the name given to the territory by China. Such notification should not be misconstrued to mean that China now recognizes IDPs, as the People’s Republic of China has never become a party to the treaty.

Does possession of the IDP/IADP along with my U. S. issued driver’s license override any local laws?

No, even though the IDP/IADP is valid for one year you must adhere to all local laws. For example, in many countries if you take up residence or employment you need to obtain a local license.

If someone visits the United States from a foreign country and discovers that they need an IDP, can they purchase one from AAA?

An IDP must be issued in the same country as the driver’s license of the traveler. Therefore, if someone from the United Kingdom has a U.K. driver’s license, their IDP must also be issued in the United Kingdom.

If someone has a driver’s license from a U.S. territory such as Guam, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands, how would an IDP work for them?

Since their driver’s license was issued by a U.S. possession, their IDP would also be issued in the United States. Contact a AAA office in the United States, and the IDP can be issued and mailed.

I am on active duty in the military and my U.S. license has or is due to expire.
Can I apply for an IDP?

Each state has its own provisions for extending the validity of state driving licenses for active duty military. Though valid in a home state, an expired U.S. license held by active duty military may not be valid or acceptable in a foreign country per that country’s driving requirements. See (new tab) for state information on renewals, keeping in mind that an IDP is only a translation of the license, not a license to drive. Military applicants must understand the conditions under which an IDP is valid if insisting upon issuance of a permit against an expired U.S. license that may be considered valid in their home state until discharged from active duty.

NOTE: If a state DMV allows renewal online or by mail for active duty military personnel stationed out of state, applicants should renew their license prior to issuance of an IDP. Some states will issue a DL236 card to be presented with an expired license to extend validity.

I am traveling to South America, so which permit should I issue?

The International Driving Permit is valid for South America, EXCEPT Brazil and Uruguay. The Inter-American Driving Permit (IADP) must be issued for those two countries.

Geographical Areas/Countries Which Honor International Driving Permits
(Convention on Road Traffic, United Nations, Geneva 1949)

  • Afghanistan*
  • Albania
  • Algeria
  • Andorra*
  • Angola*
  • Anguilla*/**
  • Antigua*/**
  • Argentina***
  • Armenia*
  • Aruba
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Azerbaijan*
  • Bahamas Bahrain*
  • Bangladesh Barbados**
  • Belarus*
  • Belgium
  • Belize
  • Benin
  • Bhutan*
  • Bolivia*/***
  • Bosnia*
  • Botswana
  • Brazil
    (Inter-American Driving Permit only)
  • Brunei*
  • Bulgaria
  • Burkina Faso (was Volta)
  • Cambodia
    (was Kampuchea)
  • Cameroon*
  • Canada Cape Verde Islands*
  • Cayman Islands*
  • Central
  • African Rep. Chad*
  • Chile***
  • Colombia*/***
  • Comoros*
  • Congo, Rep. of
  • Congo, Dem. Rep. of
  • Costa Rica*/***
  • Cote d´Ivoire
    (Ivory Coast)
  • Croatia*
  • Cuba
  • Curacao
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Rep.
  • Denmark
  • Djibouti*
  • Dominica*/**
  • Domincan Rep.***
  • Ecuador***
  • Egypt El Salvador*/***
  • Equatorial Guinea*
  • Estonia*
  • Fiji Finland
  • France
    (including French overseas territories)
  • French Polynesia
  • Gabon*
  • Gambia
  • Georgia
  • Germany*
  • Ghana
  • Gibraltar
  • Greece
  • Grenada**
  • Guatemala***
  • Guernsey Guinea*
  • Guinea-Bissau*
  • Guyana Haiti***
  • Herzegovina*
  • Honduras*/***
  • Hong Kong
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • India
  • Indonesia*
  • Iran*
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Jamaica
  • Japan
  • Jersey
  • Jordan*
  • Kazakhstan*
  • Kenya*
  • Korea (Rep.)
  • Kuwait*
  • Kyrgystan
  • Laos
  • Latvia*
  • Lebanon
  • Lesotho
  • Liberia*
  • Libya*
  • Liechtenstein*
  • Lithuania*
  • Luxembourg
  • Macao*
  • Macedonia*
  • Madagascar
  • Malawi
  • Malaysia
  • Mali
  • Malta
  • Mauritania*
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico*/***
  • Moldova*
  • Monaco
  • Montenegro
  • Montserrat*/**
  • Morocco
  • Mozambique*
  • Myanmar*
  • Namibia
  • Nepal*
  • Netherlands
  • Netherlands Antilles
  • New Caledonia
  • New Zealand
  • Nicaragua*/***
  • Niger
  • Nigeria
  • Norway
  • Oman*
  • Pakistan*
  • Panama*
  • Papua
  • New Guinea
  • Paraguay***
  • Perú***
  • Philippines
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Qatar*
  • Romania
  • Russia
  • Rwanda
  • St. Kitts & Nevis*/**
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
  • San Marino
  • Sao Tome & Principe*
  • Saudi Arabia*
  • Senegal
  • Serbia
  • Seychelles
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia*
  • South Africa
  • Spain
  • Sri Lanka
  • Sudan*
  • Suriname
  • Swaziland
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland*
  • Syria
  • Taiwan
  • Tajikistan*
  • Tanzania
  • Thailand
  • Togo
  • Trinidad & Tobago***
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Turkmenistan***
  • Uganda
  • Ukraine***
  • United Arab Emirates*
  • United Kingdom
  • Uruguay
    (Inter-American Driving Permit only)
  • Uzbekistan*
  • Vatican City
    (Holy See)
  • Venezuela***
  • Vietnam*
  • Western Samoa
  • Yemen*
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe
Does Hashimotos go away if thyroid is removed?

* Not party to 1949 Convention: International Driving Permit Honored.
**U.S. driver’s license and International Driving Permit recognized on presentation to local police and payment of Special Registration Fee upon arrival.
***Geographical Areas Which Honor Inter-American Driving Permits (Convention on Regulation of Inter-American Motor Vehicle Traffic, Organization of American States, Washington, D.C. 1943) as of January, 2009. If you intend to drive in the following countries, be sure to check INTER-AMERICAN DRIVING PERMIT box page 1: Brazil and Uruguay

What do I need to obtain an IDP?

You need to complete a brief application form (available through this Internet web site, or your nearest AAA office), provide 2 passport-sized photographs with your signature on the back of them, a photocopy of the front and back of your valid U.S. issued driver’s license, and a check or money order for $20 in U.S. funds. If transacting by mail, these items would need to be mailed to a AAA office in the United States. Otherwise, everything can be handled in a single office visit.

NOTE: If you are currently overseas you can mail your completed application to the following office and address:
AAA/IDP, b1000 AAA Dr., Heathrow, FL 32746
Attn: Mailstop #28

Everything you need to know about driving in Milan

In this guide we will cover everything about traffic and driving in Milan. It is always exciting to drive in new countries. As you will find people might drive in odd driving styles and unfamiliar environments. So it is convenient to know upfront what you can expect. If you are wondering about how Italians drive, which requirements you need to meet before you can drive in Italy and what the traffic rules are then the following driving information will surely help you out.


Driving in Milan

Italians have a passion for cars and motorcycles. So, it is no wonder that many car brands like Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Fiat, Lamborghini, Lancia, Maserati and motorcycle brands like Aprilia, Benelli, Ducati, Gilera, Moto Guzzi, Piaggio have been founded in Italy. Due to their passion for cars, Italians are on average quite confident, competitive, skilful and fast drivers. A famous saying in Italy is: “You watch your front, let everyone else watch your back”. And this summarizes their driving style.

Horn-honking and flashing their lights is just a way of communication in Milan. It can mean anything from ‘watch out’ and ‘get out of the way’ to ‘hello’ and ‘the light has turned green’. So you shouldn’t get nervous when an Italian driver starts using his horn or starts flashing his lights. It’s dangerous to let others hurry you, so be a confident driver, just like the Italians, and trust in your own ability and make your own decisions.

Although Milan is a compact city with relatively good public transportation to its main attractions, it can be convenient to drive yourself around within this great city of fashion and business. Fortunately driving in a city like Milan is not really that different from driving in other major cities. When you are an alert and confident driver, that has some experience with driving in another city, there is no need to avoid driving in Milan.

Car rental in Milan

If you don’t want the annoyance of packed group tours or public transportation, and want to do some sightseeing in Milan and its surroundings on your own terms, then renting a car is an excellent option to consider.

Can I become a pilot at 70?

Hiring a car in Milan is straightforward as the well-known agencies are widespread and all the usual driving rules and regulations apply. Having a GPS system is advised, as it will help you navigate in the city, so you can concentrate on driving. And just like several other countries in the European Union, Italy does require an insurance coverage for liability, theft, and accidents. As a result, most rental companies also offer the required insurances. If a friend or family member also wants to drive the rental car, do make sure that he or she is also approved and authorized at the rental car office. This will prevent any issues regarding insurance coverage if anything happens.

Most car rentals in Italy allow that you pick up your car in one place and drop it off in another place in Italy without any additional fee. Which means you can go on a city trip, without having to worry about in which city you have to drop the car off. If you want to drop the car off in a different country then they do might charge an additional fee. If you want to rent a car, then you can find the best deals when you make use of a car rental comparison website as this will show you where you can get your favorite car at the best price and terms possible.

Booking well in advance via a car rental comparison website is also a big time saver as you don’t have to compare all the different car rental companies by yourself. You can directly pick-up the keys on arrival, your car will be ready to hit the road when you arrive at the pick-up location and you can pre-select the most suitable car for your journey. This way you don’t have to choose between the cars that are left over at that specific car rental location. Especially during holiday season and important fashion-, design- and furniture fairs the most popular cars tend to be unavailable for people who haven’t booked in advance.

Who is allowed to drive

In Italy all drivers must be over the age of 18. In the European Union driving licenses which are issued by a member state are valid throughout all EU countries, including Italy.

If you have a driving license that is not issued by a member state of the European Union, then you need to have an international driving permit. You don’t need it in order to get a rental car, but you must be able to show it to the police if they ask for it.

Be aware that an international driving permit is not a substitution for your actual driver’s license, so you still need to have your own driver’s license with you. This is because the international driving permit is only meant as an internationally accepted document that certifies the validity of your home country driver’s license.

Traffic rules in Italy

Are you from a country where driving on the right side is the norm? In that case the driving laws in Italy will be quite similar to the driving laws from your home country. The cars drive on the right side on the road and the left lanes are only for passing other cars. Vehicles approaching from the right have right of way at intersections and crossings. But do note that vehicles on rails always have right of way, unless road signs indicate otherwise.

The road signs show the maximum legal speed limits and range between 50 km/h (31 mi/h) on urban roads and 130 km/h (81 mi/h) on motorways, although on certain motorways the speed limit has been raised to 150 km/h (93 mi/h). When it rains or snows the maximum legal speed limit is lowered to 90 km/h (56 mi/h) on main extra-urban roads and 110 km/h (68 mi/h) on motorways.

What should my TSH be with Hashimotos?

Drivers in Italy are required by law to have their driving licence, car documents, insurance papers, a warning triangle and a reflective safety vest with them. The use of seatbelts is obligatory for the driver as well as the passengers. Children up to age 4 have to be in a child safety seat and children under age 12 have to be in the back seat of the car. It is not allowed to use a mobile cellular phone while driving unless a hands-free system is used.

In Italy it is tempting to enjoy their tasty alcoholic beverages, but be aware that drinking and driving is never a safe choice. This is why in Italy the legal limit alcohol in the blood is 0.05% for drivers. In practice a woman will reach this limit after one glass of wine and a man after two glasses of wine, depending on their length and body weight.

The infrastructure of Milan

Italy was the first country in the world to build a motorway, which was the Milano-Laghi motorway from 1921. Nowadays Italy has about 7,000 km (4,350 mi) of motorway with many service stations alongside it, offering a wide range of facilities like fuel pumps, restaurants, hotels and shops. Just like in most countries Italy has a wide variety of roads, from big multi-lane motorways to small winding gravel roads. The Italian motorways (called autostrade) and the roads in Italian cities like Milan tend to be of a very good quality.

You have to keep in mind that the roads become quite different from the rest of the city when you enter the historical center of Milan. The streets in the historical center are more narrow, it becomes more difficult to find a parking spot and the center is a designated traffic restricted zone or ZTL (Zona a Traffico Limitato). In this area a congestion charge is applicable, which I shall explain in the next paragraph. The ZTL covering the center of Milan is also a Congestion Charge zone (Area C) and has 43 access points that are electronically monitored by surveillance cameras.

On set times you need to have an entrance ticket to enter the historical center by car, which costs €5,- (2018) and is valid for one day. You need to have this entrance ticket on weekdays from 7:30 AM – 7:30 PM, except on Thursday when it’s from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. During other times there is free admission for cars wanting to enter the congestion charge zone.

Entrance tickets can be purchased at ATM points of Intesa Sanpaolo, the Milan Transport Company (called ATM), tobacconists, newsstands, participating garages and parking meters. After purchase, these tickets need to be activated no later than at midnight of the next day after entering Area C (and tickets purchased in garages must be activated by midnight of the same day). The easiest ways to activate the ticket are:

– SMS a message to +39.339.994.0437 with the text “PIN.plate”
– Via call center: +39.02.48684001
– At the Italian website about Area C
– At Via Friuli 30, Monday to Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

Employees of the hotels and vendors at the tobacconists and newsstands are very willing to help you with the purchase or activation of the entrance tickets, as it is actually very easy. If you do not want to purchase an entrance ticket to drive in the center of Milan, you could park your car just out of the congestion charge zone. Then you can make use of public transportation or walk to your destination as the historical center of Milan is very compact.

When you drive away from Milan to a motorway, chances are high that you will come across a motorway toll system. The toll can be paid by cash or with Eurocard, Mastercard or a Visa card. Motorway A1 will bring you from Milan to Florence and Rome, while motorway A4 goes to Verona and Venice.

Ссылка на основную публикацию